This perky hat will put a smile on your face! The highly textured tam is formed of waves that decrease in amplitude before finishing up in a lovely star shape at the crown. And it looks just great with my “Welted Waves Cowl”! (Pattern sold separately.)
The hat is worked from the brim up on circular needles, changing to double points.
The pattern is four pages long and the welted waves stitch pattern, as well as the top decreases in pattern, are given in both charted and written out form. Difficulty level is appropriate for a knitter who can knit, purl, work increases and decreases, work on circular and double pointed needles, and keep track of pattern rounds. As with all my patterns, it has been test knit and professionally tech edited to be clear and free of errors.
Sizes: XS (S ,M, L) to fit approximate head circumference of 20 (21, 22, 23) in/ 51 (53.5, 56, 58.5) cm. Shown in size S.
Brim circumference: 18 (19, 20, 21) in/45.5 (48.5, 51, 53.5) cm. Designed to be worn with 0 to 2 inches of negative ease.
Tam diameter: 10 in/ 25.5 cm all sizes.
Brim to crown height: 8 1/4 (8 1/4, 8 1/4, 9) in/ 21 (21, 21, 23) cm.
Gauge: 24 sts and 39 rows/4in/10cm in brim pattern on smaller size needles.
27 sts and 58 rows/4 in/10cm in welted waves stitch pattern on larger needles.
What you need:
* Briggs and Little “Lite ‘N Fancy” Softspun (100% pure wool; 240 yds/ 219 m per 2 oz/ 57g skein); 2 (2, 2, 2) skeins. Shown in color 105 – Rainforest. ***Or*** approx. 300 (314, 328, 379) yds/ 273 (286, 298, 345) m of similar light, airy, sport weight wool.
* 16 in/ 40cm circular needle ***in size required to obtain gauge for brim pattern.*** I used a US#2/ 2.75mm. You may need a size or 2 larger or smaller.
* 16 in/ 40 cm circular needle 2 sizes larger than brim needle, ***or size required to obtain gauge for welted waves pattern.*** I used US#4/ 3.5mm.
* 1 set of dpns to match larger circular needle
* stitch marker
* tapestry needle to weave in ends